Support, coordinate and lead the testing and fluid laboratory development activities, as part of the new product development process and maintenance of the company's components and/or systems for the automotive market. This is generally accomplished through the skilled use and coordination of Engineering development lab tools and equipment and personal. Also includes coordination of internal hardware fabrication required to support development and customer deliveries. Accountabilities will include documentation of activities appropriate to the activity. Position is expected to routinely provide product performance insight that help in the optimization of product designs. Position is expected to provide training of new hires to the lab activity, along with coordinating the lab facilities and activities for consistency and best practice. Provides leadership characteristics that foster team progress, takes the initiative to take on challenging assignments and creates solutions following engineering best practices. These duties also include the direct supervision of product technicians and the execution of activity prioritization.
- Teamwork – Considers and fosters teamwork. Actively assembles duties for individuals to support team level goals. Seeks resources outside of the core team as needed.
- Lab Coordination – Responsible for coordinating the following activities relating to equipment and lab area:
B. Repair needs of equipment.
C. Data Acquisition Standardization and Procedures.
D. Safety Issues
E. General housekeeping and organization of facility.
F. Interface with outside labs as needed.
G. Drive standardization of Lab equipment and consumables.
- Capital Equipment – Responsible for the proper use of specific high capital equipment. Calibration, proper fixtures, test techniques and safety protocol are to be developed and disseminated to all authorized users.
- Lab Development – Responsible for assembling prototype products. Responsible for testing of products at direction of the PD team and provide design and/or test improvement ideas arising from observed results.
- Design Validation – Responsible for performing DV testing and documenting test data for all products. Responsible for assisting in design, procurement and fabrication of test fixturing, setup and data collection methods.
- Process Validation – coordinate execution of requested PV testing and provide results to Quality Department for customer report.
- Documentation – Responsible for reducing, summarizing, and presenting data to engineers with insights for product improvement as necessary.
- Identification of test method improvements for accuracy, speed, and repeatability.
- Calibration and maintenance of lab equipment.
- Test & Instrumentation Skills – Responsible for maintaining proficiency with evolving technologies through training and education.
- Support of manufacturing location problem solving initiatives as directed by Product Director.
- Special Assignments – Responsible for support and completion of special assignments as required.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor Science in Mechanical as a minimum
- More than 5 years of experience in product development and validation activity
- Familiarity with statistical methods for data analysis
- Familiarity with tool room and machining centers machining capabilities
- Experience in the company's components or systems preferred.
- Experience and knowledge in the ISO procedures and documentation requirements for a lab activity
- Experience with Wet Lab equipment and practices
- Experience with general office computer tools (word processing, spreadsheets, office communications) desired
- Priority Setting – Sets clear and timely goals for individuals to reach the departmental and corporate goals. Identifies time wasting activities and drives to remove them. Eliminates roadblocks; Creates focus.
- Motivating Others – Creates a climate in which people want to do their best; Identifies resource shortages and works to address them; Can assess each person’s strengths and works that into the overall plan; Empowers others; Invites input from each person and shares ownership and visibility; Makes each individual feel his/her work is important.
- Informing – Provides the information in a timely fashion, documents as required. Provides individuals with information so that they can make accurate decisions.
- Problem Solving – Uses logic and engineering methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; Is excellent at honest analysis; Can forecast issues based on limited data.
- Conflict Management –Reads situations quickly and addresses them; Good at focused listening; Works toward best outcomes for the team.
- Action Oriented – Enjoys working hard; Is actions oriented and full of energy for the things he/she sees as challenging; Not fearful of acting with minimum of planning; Seizes more opportunities than others.
- Process Management – Good at figuring out the processes necessary to get things done; Knows how to organize resources and activities; Understands how to separate and combine tasks into efficient workflow; Knows how to work through direct reports; Can simplify complex processes.
- Functional Technical Skills – Has the functional knowledge and skill to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.